Skip to main content

Of course I did.


Today I am supposed to be doing my last installment in five for ten and write about "yes". And this is not at all the post I intended. But life sometimes doesn't take the turns we want it to. And yesterday a teacher friend of mine called and told me about a memorial service for one of my former studetns and asked if maybe I would consider saying something. And keep in mind, that as a teacher, I pretty much speak to groups of people all day for a living. But. If I have to say something serious and heartfealt, even to an audience of one, I usually get all mumbly and stare at my shoes and forget what I was going to say. Even though I love this kid....and will miss him terribly I have a hard time imaging myslef on stage talking to an auditorium filled with grief stricken friends and family. I texted another friend about my reservations. And she knows all too well my mumbly shoe staring state.

And she replied, "Did you say yes?"

Did which I typed back. "of course I did"
And so tonight, if I make it up on the stage and stare out my feet...hopefully this is what will come out.


When Mrs. Brooke called to tell me about the memorial service.
She encouraged me to get up and speak.
To tell a funny story about Hunter and Mickey and friends cutting up.
She hoped I could say something funny and warm and make us all feel a little bit more comfortable.
And I have plenty of those stories. Like maybe the time they “borrowed” a bunch of NHS shirts and boldly wore them to school the next day. I secretly thought it was funny – even if I did have to write them up for it.
But to be honest. I’m not really feeling funny or warm or comfortable.

Sometimes you get a voice message.
And you know.
That whatever they didn’t tell you is going to be bad.
That after you call them back it will be part of the after.

The after.
The now that you know.

And I called back.
Most of you got the same phone call on Sunday.
And this is the after.

And I have been here before.
I have lost students before.
But this time it feels worse.
This loss I feel the most.
I liked Hunter the best.
His intensity and the way easy way he loved and stuck up for his sister.

And I hate days like this.
Where I want to puke.
And drain a bottle of wine.
And be angry and cuss.
Which maybe aren’t things I should say in front of a roomful of my old students.
But these aren’t the times to pretend or follow protocol.
And I suddenly wish that I worked at Starbucks or in an office or a old folks home.
Anywhere where my students don’t die.

It is an ugly feeling to sit at the memorial service of a kid.
One of mine. That sat in my desks in my room.
A kid who was tardy and smart and made me laugh.
Who managed to find a way to skip class even when his dad was the principal.

I've been a teacher for 10 years and I’ve been to a lot of funerals, and memorial services and visitations.
I think it is part of the job description.
And it never gets easier.
And I doubt God every time I sit on those hard pews.
That he is good.
That he is even paying attention.

And so this wasn’t funny. Or warm. Or inviting.
Because I feel just like you do.
Sad and empty and angry.
And full of doubt.
But all I know to do is pray, anyways
That it will get easier.
Especially for his family.
The one that he was born into and the ones he chose. His closest friends.

And I am grateful that the God we serve is big enough for our anger and doubt and even our greif that feels like a tight ball in the pit our my stomach.
And He knows what it is like to lose a son. Which is a grief so big and huge that I can not fathom it.
And so I ask that you pray. Even if you are doubting. Especially if you are doubting.
Like me.
That He will make something mysteriously beautiful out of this miserable time.
And the he will allow you to carry, some of this grief , as much as you can, for his family.
So that maybe their burden will be just a little bit lighter.
And certainly not one they carry alone.

Comments

Stacia said…
Of course you did. And even if you get mumbly, Hunter's family and friends will be so appreciative to you for speaking for him and about him. I, too, know the "after," and it's never easy. Good luck, and don't forget to take time for yourself to grieve.

Stacia @ Fluffy Bunnies
mommaof3 said…
This is beautiful. It made me cry. You are a blessing.
ShannonL said…
Absolutely beautiful. What a wonderful tribute to him and an important message to the people in the pews, too. Even if you are mumbly or look at your shoes, everyone will appreciate these words, regardless. Good luck and take care.
I never even thought about that aspect of being a teacher.
There were a few tears shed over here while reading... I'll keep his family in my thoughts.
Beautiful and honest in a way that must have surely provided comfort to those there and definitely honored the ones that passed. I'm sorry for your loss.
samskat said…
CHills and tears here...I'll be praying for all of you. I'm sorry.
kirsten said…
oh wow. Of course you said yes - because saying no would keep all of those people from hearing honest, heart/gut feelings that would move them a teeny tiny bit towards healing, that night.

What a beautiful, beautiful post. Just... tremendous.
ck said…
I wish I had words to share in response to this post, but I don't because I'm crying. I don't usually cry after reading posts, especially when I don't know the writer or the subject, but I am so moved by your words. As I'm sure everyone else was who was present last night to hear you speak.
Anonymous said…
Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear the news about your student. I am a teacher too and, though I've never had to do anything as brave and wrenching as you did for Hunter's family, I relate to the connection you clearly feel for this young man. You and his community of family and friends will be in my thoughts.
KittyCat said…
What a sad call to receive. Of course you said yes.

What a great person you are to say such kind words.

great choice for a post on yes.
This was really awesome-I'm crying. What an Honor to Hunter, to his family, & to his friends. I'll keep them all in my prayers.
Unknown said…
I am so, so sorry.

I am crying with you and praying with you, and Hunter's family.
Sarah said…
I've been staring at the comment box for several minutes now. I don't even feel equipped to respond. I've been there. At a service. Speaking at the podium. And it's surreal. Just absolutely surreal. But, like you, I said "of course." And I did it. And I hope I never have to do it again.

Thank you for such heartfelt words. And for sharing what was in your heart.

Popular posts from this blog

Canceled

I inhale books. So much so that I’m occasionally embarrassed by my intake. I don’t want anyone to think that I don’t work or pay attention to my family.  I’m just a fast reader and I don’t watch a lot of TV or play any games on my phone. Well – except for Wordle of course. My library card get a lot of miles. However, I still probably spend an embarrassing amount on books.  Even though I often put books in those cute little free libraries – I still have more books than shelves.  Today I did something tragic.  I did not renew my book of the month membership.  And let's be honest, it is more like three books a month.  I am not unhappy with the customer service, quality  or selection.  Book of the Month, I promise …it’s not you - it’s me.  I want to invest in my writing and I realize this going to cost me.  I don’t want to take that money from my family or my kid’s college funds.  Instead I had to evaluate what I was willing to give up.  What financial choices impact me but not as many

slow

Recently I went to the local running store and let them charge a ridiculous amount for a new pair of running shoes. I used to run. Just like I used to do lots of things, but lately I have been slow to get off the couch. Let’s be honest. This season has been a long one, and I’ve been slow to do a lot of things that are good for me. My old shoes are wearing thin and nothing motivates like a new pair of kicks.  I quickly found my brand and style of choice and asked the worker to bring them in my size. The owner spoke up from the back, “So you are picking your shoes out based on how they look?” I pulled my own foot into her view. I showed her a similar pair in teal, well worn, with the big toe scuffed all the way through. The model was a few years old and I needed a fresh start.  “Nope. These are my brand, but I’m open to your suggestions.” Runners are very particular about their shoes.  I tell her I need something to absorb a lot of the impact.  I tell her that I overpronate just a little

The annual REAL Christmas letter: 2021 edition

  One of my favorite traditions for over a  decade has been to sit down and try to write a REAL Christmas letter.  Not just the highlights, but a few honest moments as well. It started as a joke with one of my friends, thinking how refreshing it be for people to share more than just their perfect lives that we are used to seeing on Facebook and Instagram. It would be way more truthful and a whole lot more entertaining. So here goes… 2021 I had such high hopes for you. Well, actually the bar was pretty low but clearly not low enough. If I have learned anything from 2020 it is that even things that are difficult, the days are still a gift. It is a gift to gather with family without a Covid test or a worrisome 5 days after. It is a gift to go to the movies or a concert. It is a gift to go to work, school and sporting events. It is a gift to get vaccines, to board an airplane to sit in a pew at church. It is a gift to be allowed back to visit someone in the emergency room. It is a gift to