Skip to main content

prone to wander.

The other day I was talking with someone about Kelli Corigan’s new book. Particuarly the end of the book. Where her friend, who just turned 40, decided that she was going to try and get pregnant from a sperm bank. Because even though she did not have a husband she wanted nothing more than to be a mom.

My friend talked about how she might have done the same thing had she been in her shoes. Or would at least consider it. Because she so desperately wanted to be a mother. And thankfully she is to a couple of beautiful girls. And I stared back at her a little blankly because I have never wondered down this path.
And I felt so unsettled because I don’t think that seed is planted in me so strongly.
The mothering seed.

Don’t get me wrong.
I wanted my babies.
We tried for them.
I talked my husband into them.
I might even want another.
And I love them fiercely.
I would walk through fire for them.
I’d give them both my kidneys. Without a second thought.

But sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I had certain freedoms back.
Like the freedom to go to a movie whenever I want.
Or the freedom to go to the bathroom by myself.
Or sleep all night with out someone waking me up.
And especially the freedom to wander.

And so when someone asks me …what maybe I would do if I were my age and single.
My brain doesn’t jump to being a mother and how I’d make that happen or miss it or so desperately want it.
Instead I think of all the places I could go and things I could do.
I think of the things that for now have to wait.
My single friends who have been to Africa and Austrailia and Italy. While I make lots of trips to the land of Target.
Not a day passes where I don’t think I want to go to ________ ( Haiti or New York or Africa or Austin or Maine). I don’t want to run away from my life. At least not for very long. And I’m not saying I can’t still go to some of these places. I can. But there are more pressing needs(like diapers and dinner). I'd also take more risks.
Because taking risks is tricky when you have little ones depending on you.
My decisions need to be about my family. Not just me.

And most of the time I'm so glad it's not just me.
And these two are well worth the wait.
If I had to pick. I’d still pick my life all over again.
The one with drive-thrus and soccer games and bounce house parties instead of passport stamps and fancy restaurants and professional prestige.

And maybe sometimes it is still ok to let my mind wander…even if I don’t.

Comments

Knox McCoy said…
I really liked this. Very honest and open and I appreciate that.

It takes courage to admit that honesty, but it takes even more to put those desires on hold.

Thanks for sharing.
Margie said…
A friend of mine went the sperm bank route and is very glad she did, although having read "The Genius Factory," I wonder when her son will begin to get intensely curious about his father.

Like you, I never wanted to work so hard for kids, and even came darn close to not having any which scares the heck out of me. But, even now, I don't long for what else is out there anymore. With my children, I have finally found my place. I've been contemplating a post about this, so you'll probably see something about it fairly soon.
Katie Delp said…
I so relate...thanks for posting

Popular posts from this blog

Canceled

I inhale books. So much so that I’m occasionally embarrassed by my intake. I don’t want anyone to think that I don’t work or pay attention to my family.  I’m just a fast reader and I don’t watch a lot of TV or play any games on my phone. Well – except for Wordle of course. My library card get a lot of miles. However, I still probably spend an embarrassing amount on books.  Even though I often put books in those cute little free libraries – I still have more books than shelves.  Today I did something tragic.  I did not renew my book of the month membership.  And let's be honest, it is more like three books a month.  I am not unhappy with the customer service, quality  or selection.  Book of the Month, I promise …it’s not you - it’s me.  I want to invest in my writing and I realize this going to cost me.  I don’t want to take that money from my family or my kid’s college funds.  Instead I had to evaluate what I was willing to give up.  What financial choices impact me but not as many

slow

Recently I went to the local running store and let them charge a ridiculous amount for a new pair of running shoes. I used to run. Just like I used to do lots of things, but lately I have been slow to get off the couch. Let’s be honest. This season has been a long one, and I’ve been slow to do a lot of things that are good for me. My old shoes are wearing thin and nothing motivates like a new pair of kicks.  I quickly found my brand and style of choice and asked the worker to bring them in my size. The owner spoke up from the back, “So you are picking your shoes out based on how they look?” I pulled my own foot into her view. I showed her a similar pair in teal, well worn, with the big toe scuffed all the way through. The model was a few years old and I needed a fresh start.  “Nope. These are my brand, but I’m open to your suggestions.” Runners are very particular about their shoes.  I tell her I need something to absorb a lot of the impact.  I tell her that I overpronate just a little

The annual REAL Christmas letter: 2021 edition

  One of my favorite traditions for over a  decade has been to sit down and try to write a REAL Christmas letter.  Not just the highlights, but a few honest moments as well. It started as a joke with one of my friends, thinking how refreshing it be for people to share more than just their perfect lives that we are used to seeing on Facebook and Instagram. It would be way more truthful and a whole lot more entertaining. So here goes… 2021 I had such high hopes for you. Well, actually the bar was pretty low but clearly not low enough. If I have learned anything from 2020 it is that even things that are difficult, the days are still a gift. It is a gift to gather with family without a Covid test or a worrisome 5 days after. It is a gift to go to the movies or a concert. It is a gift to go to work, school and sporting events. It is a gift to get vaccines, to board an airplane to sit in a pew at church. It is a gift to be allowed back to visit someone in the emergency room. It is a gift to