Skip to main content

preachers and parades.

Months ago, I sat in a pew and tried to not think about the fact that you could count on one hand the number of white congregants in the room.
And I was one of them.
 I did not want to draw attention to myself, but despite the fact that I have been to church most Sundays of my life, I had no idea what to do. When to sit, stand, pray or the lyrics to any of the songs. The rules here seemed so different than my own church, just a few miles away. Filled with people who mostly looked like me.
 A few elderly African American women were seated next to me and were kind enough to attempt to make me feel welcome and tell me what to do. At some point Eunice, in a bright purple dress, slid her arthritic hand on top of mine, squeezed and tugged me to the front to pray.
 I let her lead me, because I didn’t how else to respond, and because she seemed so genuinely glad that I was there, singing off key next to her.

 It was not lost on me, that my slight discomfort was one of choice and ended just as quickly as I got in my car and drove home. That discomfort is one most people, in that same sanctuary, probably feel all the time. I wondered how often they were one of the few people of color in a white sea. I wondered if there was anyone kind enough to take their hand, welcome them and patiently show them what to do.

 Some of my friends invited me to go to the Dallas Pride parade and join them giving out free mom hugs. Painting signs and making shirts of welcome and acceptance to a group that can often feel strained relationships with their own parents. We hoped to be stand-ins.
We pulled up in a minivan. I looked more like I belonged on a Target aisle, than in a pride parade. I had not ordered a mom hug shirt so I looked in my closet until I found some rainbow tie-dyed t-shirts in the back. We found a place along the parade route, right in front of a church that was doing it right-- giving away water and opening its doors and restrooms. The lawn was full of spectators dressed in all kinds of things and the fanciest of shoes. Music blared, drinks flowed and I quickly started to sweat through my tie-dye. Even with my long history with the Indigo girls, I still couldn’t help but feel out of place. Like I didn’t fit. And despite the fact that a guy behind me had on a blue wig, 3 inch heels and fishnets, that people were looking AT ME.
Yet, no one told me to leave, or questioned my morality, motives or even my footwear.

 Two college age looking girls to my left, hesitantly asked if it was really ok to ask for a hug. Another obnoxious guest, who had overserved herself and yelled in our ears, saw the signs and said she was likely almost the same age as us, but could really use a mom hug.
We obliged.
There were plenty of hugs. Some shy. Some sweaty. More than a few with glitter. Some people literally ran to us with open arms and hearts.
Kind of like Eunice’s open hands.

I went to a black church to learn and because I believe in unity (and for the music, duh).
I went to the parade for many of the same reasons.

In both places I realized that I, in all my privilege, was suddenly the other. Even if it was only for a few hours.
I stood out. I was uncomfortable. I wondered what people would think. I worried if it was ok to be tagged on facebook.
And I was only treated with love. Hugged a hundred times. Dragged to the altar. Welcomed and asked back by people who were not always treated as kindly by people like me. The same as me.

That discomfort is not an easy outfit to put on. But it is an excellent teacher. And the best hugger and hand-holder I know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canceled

I inhale books. So much so that I’m occasionally embarrassed by my intake. I don’t want anyone to think that I don’t work or pay attention to my family.  I’m just a fast reader and I don’t watch a lot of TV or play any games on my phone. Well – except for Wordle of course. My library card get a lot of miles. However, I still probably spend an embarrassing amount on books.  Even though I often put books in those cute little free libraries – I still have more books than shelves.  Today I did something tragic.  I did not renew my book of the month membership.  And let's be honest, it is more like three books a month.  I am not unhappy with the customer service, quality  or selection.  Book of the Month, I promise …it’s not you - it’s me.  I want to invest in my writing and I realize this going to cost me.  I don’t want to take that money from my family or my kid’s college funds.  Instead I had to evaluate what I was willing to give up.  What financial choices impact me but not as many

slow

Recently I went to the local running store and let them charge a ridiculous amount for a new pair of running shoes. I used to run. Just like I used to do lots of things, but lately I have been slow to get off the couch. Let’s be honest. This season has been a long one, and I’ve been slow to do a lot of things that are good for me. My old shoes are wearing thin and nothing motivates like a new pair of kicks.  I quickly found my brand and style of choice and asked the worker to bring them in my size. The owner spoke up from the back, “So you are picking your shoes out based on how they look?” I pulled my own foot into her view. I showed her a similar pair in teal, well worn, with the big toe scuffed all the way through. The model was a few years old and I needed a fresh start.  “Nope. These are my brand, but I’m open to your suggestions.” Runners are very particular about their shoes.  I tell her I need something to absorb a lot of the impact.  I tell her that I overpronate just a little

The annual REAL Christmas letter: 2021 edition

  One of my favorite traditions for over a  decade has been to sit down and try to write a REAL Christmas letter.  Not just the highlights, but a few honest moments as well. It started as a joke with one of my friends, thinking how refreshing it be for people to share more than just their perfect lives that we are used to seeing on Facebook and Instagram. It would be way more truthful and a whole lot more entertaining. So here goes… 2021 I had such high hopes for you. Well, actually the bar was pretty low but clearly not low enough. If I have learned anything from 2020 it is that even things that are difficult, the days are still a gift. It is a gift to gather with family without a Covid test or a worrisome 5 days after. It is a gift to go to the movies or a concert. It is a gift to go to work, school and sporting events. It is a gift to get vaccines, to board an airplane to sit in a pew at church. It is a gift to be allowed back to visit someone in the emergency room. It is a gift to